Animal Care Assistant, Part-Time
The Science Department seeks a motivated energetic, team-orientated and caring part-time Animal Care Assistant to work in the museum’s Live Animal Collection on weekends. Under the direction of the Live Animal Biologist, the Animal Care Assistant will attend to various animal species.
Basic Function and Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Possess a commitment to quality care of animals
- Provide food and water; may also include administering medicine
- Observe and record animal habits
- Sanitize and sterilize animal cages and equipment
- Provide exercise and environmental enrichment
- Preform general housekeeping
- Adhere to safety procedures
- Communicate information as appropriate
The successful candidate must have the interest and desire to work with a variety of live animals. S/he must be able to perform in an environment with exposure to animals, animal dander, animal byproducts and bedding materials for prolonged periods of time. The ability to regularly life and carry up to 50 pounds, kneel, bend, pull, push, and stand for extended periods of time is necessary. S/he must also demonstrate strong organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Training in animal care and aquarium maintenance is highly desirable
- Strong science background and/or experience in biology, animal science, animal care, or a related field preferred.
- Please indicate any animal experience on your resume.